As a number of you might know I am not only a huge fan of gaming original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will be hitting the back button at disgust — but I am of the opinion that emulation has a place in every retro gamer’s lifetime. Emulation allows you to experience games in near pixel-perfection you can not ever be able to afford or find and from a historical standpoint it’s a great way to archive and catalog names that would otherwise vanish.
My pick of emulation instrument is a self-modded first (some call it’classic’ now) Microsoft XBox. I have been asked on many occasions on how to mod an XBox and everything a modded XBox is, so within this collection of articles I will show you the capacities of my 2 components and show you how to start getting your own.More Here romshub.com At our site
I decided to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by enthusiasts and finding how enormous the XBox mod landscape is and also what a capable machine they are for emulation functions. Almost every emulator ever made has been ported to XBox and in the majority of cases continues to be improved still further by enthusiasts with the inclusion of video collections and art. Of course it’s possible to use an XBox as a terrific networked Media Centre plus it does many more things besides but since this is RGC I’ll concentrate on the topic of retro console and computer emulation.
A modded Xbox is my own choice within PC/Mac emulation for the next 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively simple to unleash yourself (soft-modding a Normal 8gb XBox takes minutes when You know how and have the tools/software)
2. The device fits under your telly, including a PC
3. A timeless XBox is inexpensive, I found them being marketed with a controller for #14.99 recently at my regional GameStation. EBay is another fantastic supply of inexpensive XBoxes.
5. Unlike a Xbox 360, the first Xbox is extremely reliable — nearly bombproof.
6. The developer scene is still going strong and new variations of favorite emulators are released weekly
A modded XBox also has the following advantages:
3. You can upgrade your HDD into something bigger
4. You can save your DVD films and games to your HDD and play from there (faster loading times)
5. Capability to work with a mouse and keyboard (good for all those point and click adventure names )
6. Massive development scene resulting in countless ported emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable more than LAN with some other devices you’ve
8. Great alternative to your PC at a home arcade cabinet setup
9. Once the HDD is updated they make adequate Network Media Centres (XBMC)